Rapid Response Researcher
Media Matters for America | REMOTE
Media Matters for America — a progressive, Washington, D.C.-based, nonprofit research and information center dedicated to comprehensively monitoring, analyzing, and correcting conservative misinformation in the U.S. media — seeks a candidate with strong research instincts, intellectual curiosity, and enthusiasm for our mission to join our News Department team as a Rapid Response Researcher.
This is a full-time position and is remote. Remote work can be done anywhere from within the United States, including our Washington, DC office. While much of the work for this role will be done in a standard 9-5 schedule, this is a rapid response position and may require flexible, dynamic scheduling in consultation with the manager.
The Rapid Response Researcher works with a growing rapid response team to tackle emerging conservative misinformation from high-profile media targets. This includes both rigorous monitoring and content production, such as clips and written content posted to the Media Matters website. The Rapid Response Researcher will also assist in gathering internal research, often around breaking news events. Researchers are generalists who must both quickly get up to speed on the stories of the day and develop specialized knowledge on certain repeat misinformers and high-priority topics.
- The Rapid Response Researcher reports to the Deputy Director, Rapid Response
- This is not a managerial position.
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Closely track priority outlets, programs, or figures across media, including drafting summaries and memos about trends and narratives.
- Contribute to organization-wide pool of daily media monitoring by tracking and internally flagging select broadcast, cable, radio, print, and online news stories, as well as social media monitoring as assigned.
- Utilize multiple media recording applications to archive television, radio, and online streaming programs, as necessary.
- Develop subject matter expertise on high profile targets.
Rapid response content creation:
- Synthesize emerging trends and become familiar with the key narratives/stories that Media Matters is advancing, ultimately furthering those narratives/stories with rapid response content on Media Matters’ website and/or social media.
- Identify opportunities for, draft and publish clips that present context and facts in a compelling, streamlined way.
- Edit transcripts for posting to the Media Matters website, as assigned.
- Identify and pitch opportunities for rapid response content based on research or monitoring assignments and expertise.
- Complete timely, short-term research assignments as assigned, using Media Matters’ internal databases, external research tools, and/or independent online research.
- Assist other teams and researchers with research needs as assigned/necessary.
- Attention to detail while working in a fast-paced work environment
- Basic familiarity with video files and posting them to the internet
- Ability to change projects quickly
- Ability to multitask and adjust in fast-paced and high-pressure situations within a 24/7 news cycle
- Ability to adapt to new technologies and systems quickly and effectively
- Open to creative approaches for deploying rapid response research
- Understanding of progressive issues
- Alignment with Media Matters’ work culture, including:
- Interest in media and the effects conservative misinformation has on our public debate, and an understanding of Media Matters’ mission and work;
- Ability to operate effectively both independently and in a team setting;
- Demonstrated ability to meet tight deadlines on a daily basis, organize long-lead projects, and quickly adapt to new challenges in a fast-paced news cycle;
- Ability to prioritize and manage simultaneous assignments and quickly synthesize information about new topics;
- Receptivity and responsiveness to both concrete and abstract feedback;
- Dedication to accuracy, with the ability to prioritize and give keen attention to detail
- Experience identifying rapid response moments, including:
- Knowledge of social media and conservative media monitoring;
- Demonstrated knowledge of how misinformation starts and spreads;
- Understanding of how to use powerful, timely storytelling and social media clips to rebut emerging narratives
- Keen understanding of the challenges of rapid response work and an ability to problem solve effectively
- Experience with social media research, including Twitter and Tweetdeck
- Experience in producing deadline-oriented web content and/or complex research reports against hard deadlines
- Experience with CMS
- Experience in a remote work environment
- Familiarity with media research tools such as LexisNexis research
Compensation & Benefits: Media Matters for America offers competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package. The salary for this position starts at $49,000 and is commensurate with experience or expertise.