Academic Research Writer
Syracuse University | Syracuse, NY
The academic research writer will work with the Senior Associate Vice President of Academic and Executive Communications to source and produce research news writing including scholarship in the humanities, social sciences and creative arts, as well as science, technology, engineering and mathematics research for internal and external audiences including current students, faculty and staff, prospective students and parents, alumni, donors and research partners including corporations, foundations and funding agencies.
This position will work closely with faculty and staff, internal communications, media relations and school/college communicators to write and edit stories that support the University’s research reputation and academic excellence goals. Under the supervision of the SAVP, this position will support key research centers and institutes in external communications and will collaborate with the Vice Chancellor and Provost, the Office of Academic Affairs, the Graduate School and Office of Research to build awareness of and reputation for the University’s ten research clusters and messaging that supports the recruitment of research-productive faculty to join these clusters. This position may be asked to partner with advancement to support philanthropic giving and/or donor stewardship.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, or a related field.
- Three (3) plus years of experience writing and/or editing science news for higher education, science-oriented organizations, newspapers, or magazines.
- High attention to detail & accuracy in writing, spelling, grammar & composition.
- Excellent verbal & written communication & interpersonal skills & a demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with leadership, supervisors, colleagues.
- Ability to accurately translate complex topics for lay audiences.
- Familiarity w best practices for digital content channels: websites, social media platforms, video, podcasts, etc.
- Familiarity w science & research industry publication norms.
- Ability to work independently, manage time & work on multiple deadlines while exercising discretion and judgement.
- Must also have the ability to oversee & execute multiple projects simultaneously while working effectively under the pressure of last-minute deadlines & changing priorities.
- Is proactive & takes initiative.
- Functions effectively, both independently & as a member of a team, with a willingness to assist with routine & last-minute projects.
- Must be outcome driven, resourceful & committed to collaboration.
- Experience writing/editing for a research university or writing science news for higher education, science-oriented organizations, newspapers, or magazines strongly preferred.
- Membership in the National Association of Science Writers or a master’s degree in communication, journalism, science, or related field are a plus.
- Write and edit critical academic and research communications materials, including email communications, key messages, news stories, web content and other essential documents.
- Works closely with media relations, internal communications team and school/college administrators and other teams to ensure effective prioritization and planning annually of key research initiatives that contribute to the University’s reputation.
- Provides support to the SAVP for Academic and Executive communications to meet the needs senior leaders in various departments including Academic Affairs, the Office of Research, and other administrative units.
- Stays up-to-date on industry trends.
- Other duties as assigned.