Public Policy Coordinator
National Pest Management Association | Fairfax, VA
The National Pest Management Association seeks a highly motivated, dedicated, and resourceful individual to serve as the Coordinator of Public Policy. As part of the NPMA policy team, this individual will support advocacy for the professional pest management industry at the local, state and federal levels. This position reports directly to the Manager of Public Policy and works closely with members of the industry relations department on legislative and regulatory work.
The successful candidate will be able to identify areas within the public policy work of the association that they are passionate about growing their skills in, whether it is lobbying at the state or federal level, working on regulatory comments, or other interest areas.
Now for the obligatory stuff…
· Assist with the departmental public policy issues tracking hotlist
· Serve as an assistant staff liaison to the Public Policy committee and provide administrative support to all meetings of the committee
· Help monitor and track federal and state legislative and regulatory activity via LexisNexis, Federal Register, Congressional Record and other outlets and alert public policy team to potential issues, as well as tracking social media and internet sources of information about the industry and issues
· Summarize state and federal rules, regulations, bills and other communications
· Assist with the scheduling of Hill and state legislative meetings and calls.
· Support Federal PAC and lobbying compliance
· Prepare and distribute the weekly policy communications email
· Assist in research of new policy issues
· Monitor federal hearings or public meetings regarding legislative, regulatory or rules impacting the interests of the pest management industry and provide summaries as needed
· Assist in the preparation of testimony for state and federal hearings
· Assist with committee work and project implementation as needed
· Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Experience
· Strong writing skills
· A strong commitment to advocating on behalf of public health and business issues
· Knowledge of pesticide issues and/or understanding of the pest management industry a plus but not required.
· Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a related field.
· Strongly prefer internship or related experience with a congressional, state legislative, federal or state agency or trade association position
· Strongly prefer experience tracking bills and regulations and providing summaries
· Hill or state legislature internship experience a plus but not required.
To apply send a resume and cover letter to NPMA’s Vice President of Public Policy Ashley Amidon at email@example.com. NPMA would like to fill this position in the near future, and qualified applicants will be responded to quickly. This position is salaried at approximately $40,000 and NPMA offers a generous benefits package and professional development opportunities.
This position is based in Old Town Fairfax, with a hybrid virtual/in person work schedule. Some travel will be required depending on the Association and Legislative schedules and events.