TechnoServe | REMOTE
Everyone deserves the opportunity to build a better future. This simple idea has been at the heart of TechnoServe’s work around the world for over 50 years. TechnoServe is a pioneer in leveraging the power of business and markets to create sustainable pathways out of poverty.
The low-income communities in which we work are full of enterprising people. Their small-scale farms and businesses are the keys to economic development. But they face many challenges: low literacy, lack of access to jobs and markets, unpredictable political dynamics and, increasingly, the effects of climate change. For many women and young people, the challenges are even more daunting. Working with TechnoServe staff, people around the world are lifting themselves out of poverty. The results are amazing…when incomes increase and living conditions for families get better, they are able to access health care and education previously out of reach. Communities and even whole countries are better off.
The Communications Specialist helps share stories and ideas that inspire progress in the fight against poverty. Working with a wide variety of program teams and experts across TechnoServe, the Specialist works within the marketing and communications team to research and write articles and reports, edit a range of external-facing documents, identify and secure speaking opportunities for TechnoServe staff, and assist with internal research and tracking.
The qualified candidate will be able to carry out multiple complex tasks and effectively engage with partners, staff members at all levels of the organization, and other stakeholders. Excellent written and oral communications skills are required, as is the ability to set priorities, manage time well, and work independently. An interest in, and understanding of, international issues is very helpful.
This position is part of the Private Fundraising, Marketing, and Communications team, which supports TechnoServe’s mission by increasing the organization’s visibility, sharing knowledge and ideas, engaging with target audiences, and raising donations.
- Contributing research, writing, and editing for press releases, articles, reports, case studies, fact sheets, and other communications pieces about TechnoServe’s programs and initiatives
- Identifying, tracking, and facilitating speaking opportunities for TechnoServe staff in conferences and webinars
- Reviewing project reports, global news, and other resources to identify potential communications opportunities
- Identifying ways to amplify TechnoServe’s communications through work with external experts and influencers
- Participating in brainstorming and content development planning sessions
- Supporting the measurement and evaluation of TechnoServe’s communications efforts by updating dashboards and tracking results
- Bachelor’s Degree, plus a minimum of three years of relevant experience (or equivalent experience); or a Master’s Degree with one year of relevant experience
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office and Google Docs applications
- Solid understanding of media landscape for international development and business preferred
- Intermediate understanding of French, Portuguese, Spanish, Swahili, or Amharic is desirable, but not required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to write clearly and concisely for a professional audience
- Demonstrated interest in international development, international business, and/or global affairs
- Strong organizational skills
- Initiative and attention to detail
Application Instructions – For consideration, please include a cover letter and a writing sample of an article or blog post