Public Policy Analyst
Los Angeles Area Chamber of Commerce | Los Angeles, CA
The Los Angeles Area Chamber of Commerce represents 1,400 businesses employing more than 700,000 employees throughout Southern California. Founded in 1888, the Chamber is the region’s oldest and most respected business advocacy organization. The Public Policy Department develops and implements bipartisan advocacy strategies to promote economic growth and improve the quality of life in Southern California.
Minimum Job Qualifications
At minimum, the Analyst must possess a college degree. This is an entry level position with limited years (0-2 years) required.
Qualifying candidates must demonstrate strong research and writing skills, an ability to self-start and work independently on projects, solid team collaboration skills, excellent attention to detail and enthusiasm. Strong computer skills: proficient in Google docs, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and ability to learn website and date base maintenance. The Analyst must have strong communication skills to contact elected offices and high profile officials. The Analyst will work directly under the Chamber’s Senior Public Policy Managers in coordination with the Senior Vice President of Public Policy.
The Public Policy Department operates in a fast-paced environment and constantly changing priorities. The role would be exposed to a wide-range of people, member companies and policy issues issued by government and regulatory agencies. Specifically, the Analyst will get hands-on experience and gain knowledge of how advocacy and public policy are conducted via one of the region’s oldest and largest non-profit, membership-based advocacy organizations. Primary responsibilities include:
- Research and analyze important legislation and policy issues at all levels of government.
- Assist in executing outreach programs for the Policy Team including reaching out to elected offices.
- Meet and interact with business and civic leaders, elected officials and community stakeholders.
- Attend and track policy proposed by L.A. City Hall, L.A. County Board of Supervisors, the State Legislature, Congress, Senate and other agencies/elected bodies.
- Assist staff with Chamber committee meetings, policy briefing, lobbying trips and special events by drafting necessary materials including advocacy agenda, talking points and meeting schedules.
- Support policy team with issuing social media on advocacy campaigns.
- Develop content for various newsletters and communication to external stakeholders.
- Flexible schedule for those occasions that legislative bodies meet afterhours.
- Work with staff on other special projects, as needed.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and a brief writing sample (1-3 pages, academic papers acceptable) to Carmen Torres at firstname.lastname@example.org