Upper School World History Teacher
University School of Milwaukee | Milwaukee, WI
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Type: Full Time
Salary: Competitive salary
Plus full benefits package
Employer will assist with relocation costs.
General Summary: Supports the School’s mission through teaching in the Upper School’s History and Humanities program. Provides innovative instruction to meet a variety of student needs, in alignment with the School’s curriculum goals. Leads students towards fulfillment of their potential for intellectual, emotional, social, and physical growth and maturation. Performs complex professional work, while motivating students to develop skills in the area of History and Humanities.
Essential Duties And Responsibilities
- Increases the academic performance of all students in the History and Humanities content area by creating a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interest of the students.
- Plans instruction consistent with the School’s approved curriculum for Upper School History.
- Creates a supportive learning environment for all students that encourages social interaction, active engagement in learning, and self-motivation.
- Plans a program study that meets the individual needs, interests, and abilities of students.
- Collects, analyzes, and reports data on the effectiveness of History instruction continuously.
- Works collaboratively with the History team to advise, plan, and implement effective interventions.
- Prepares for classes as assigned and shows evidence of lesson preparation upon request.
- Establishes appropriate plans for substitutes.
- Develops appropriate formative and summative assessments to guide instruction and assess student learning.
- Provides regular feedback to students and parents, and uses assessment data to make instructional decisions.
- Works collaboratively with administrators to strengthen the History program.
- Initiates, implements, and coordinates a variety of program components, which will further enrich the School’s History program.
- Establishes and maintains standards of student behavior needed to achieve an optimal learning atmosphere in the classroom.
- Promotes students’ educational and career objectives by providing individual assistance, preparing letters of recommendation, etc.
- Ability and desire to serve as an advisor to a small group of students.
- Attends and participates in professional meetings, including collaborative teams, US meetings, and professional development.
- Completes other tasks as deemed appropriate by the Upper School Administration.
Knowledge, Skills And Abilities
- Strong content knowledge in History and Humanities
- Secure knowledge of best practices in instruction
- Ability to differentiate instruction in mixed ability classrooms
- Strong classroom management skills with the ability and the desire to work with a diverse student body
- Ability to work collaboratively with others and maintain positive professional relationships
- Ability to read, comprehend, follow and give oral and written instructions
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skills with a strong degree of self- direction and motivation
- High level of maturity, confidentiality, and assertiveness
- Capable of using tact and diplomacy in dealing with others
- Capable of competently operating technology
Education And Experience
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in History or Humanities-related area preferred; Master’s Degree preferred
- 3-5 years teaching experience
- Experience in educational technology