Research Operations Associate, Libraries, Scholarly Communications, and Museums Program
ITHAKA | REMOTE
Ithaka S+R, a service of ITHAKA, is a non-profit research and consulting service that helps the academic and cultural communities serve the public good and navigate economic, technological, and demographic change. We conduct major research projects and consult with academic libraries, scholarly publishers, software companies, learned societies, museums, and universities. Our initiatives help these organizations better support scholarship, instruction, community engagement, and student success by empowering them to gather and to effectively utilize evidence that supports good strategic decision-making and service offerings. We leverage a variety of research methods, partnership models, and subject experts to ensure that our projects meet the needs of the organizations we serve.
As Ithaka S+R’s Research Operations Associate, you will take responsibility for facilitating the implementation of a portfolio of studies by providing quality logistical, administrative, programming, and other platform-level management support. In doing so you will serve as a contributor to our team that provides research operations support to both internal and external partners on studies that typically leverage survey and/or qualitative methods at a large-scale. You will have the opportunity to develop and improve the team’s research operations support service model as Ithaka S+R’s portfolio continues to grow and evolve.
You will work from either our New York City office or remotely as part of the team and report to the Research Operations Support team lead. Being on this team will provide you with opportunities few other organizations can offer, including fielding of studies that have direct impact for individual academic institutions, publishers, content platforms, scholarly societies, and museums. You will grow your research skills while learning about the policy issues and strategic dilemmas that higher education institutions face today.
To be successful, you must bring an unrelenting attention to detail even in the face of deadlines and multiple concurrent projects to ensure that our studies are implemented smoothly and efficiently
The primary responsibilities of the Research Operations Associate are:
- Programming and other Platform-Level Management
- Program, modify, and test survey questionnaires in the Ithaka S+R survey platform (currently Qualtrics)
- Open, monitor, and close surveys on the survey platform
- Provide frontline support for our survey platform including liaison with the platform provider and internal partners on operational issues, providing training and support to internal platform users, and evaluation of survey platform usage and options
- Generate, acquire, and manage contact lists, ensure their quality, and deploy survey communications to study participants
- Prepare reports, datasets, crosstabs, and other outputs from the survey platform and other reporting and analytical tools
- Create and maintain documentation for study instruments and materials, including questionnaires, participant records, and ethics protocols
- Strictly maintain participant confidentiality and data privacy
- Provide additional support to Ithaka S+R projects as assigned, which may include conducting desk research, coordinating IRB processes, interview scheduling, and note-taking
- Coordinate with colleges and universities to field studies in collaboration with Ithaka S+R including onboarding and ethics approval support, developing recruitment strategies, collecting survey materials, customizing survey instruments, and ensuring timely execution
- Strategize with internal and external partners on marketing, outreach, and other methods to maximize response rates and project participation
- Provide ongoing support and guidance to internal partners to operationalize their research initiatives
Experience And Skills
We encourage candidates with diverse backgrounds and interests to apply for this position, including applications from people who have been impacted by the criminal-legal system.
Individuals with a bachelor’s degree in a quantitative social science field who may eventually wish to consider matriculating into a masters or a PhD program may find this position to be especially interesting, as may librarians with assessment interests. Those with highly detailed-oriented administrative skill sets in diverse industries that are interested in applying those skills to a mission-driven research organization environment may also be a good fit.
Requirements for this position include:
- 1-2 years of relevant full-time work experience
- An acute attention to detail and absolute commitment to accuracy, quality, and excellence
- Superior interpersonal skills, including excellent telephone, e-mail, and conversation manner
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple complex projects concurrently
- Comfort working with quantitative data and ideally some experience with its analysis
- Experience managing complex projects, setting agendas, and communicating with both internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to prioritize and manage your own work, perform well under pressure, and meet deadlines, while ensuring acute attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to work in our open, collaborative, and team-oriented culture
- An interest in improving upon research administration processes to ensure timely and efficient execution
- Enthusiastic to learn new skills
Desired (but not required) qualifications:
- Experience using web-based survey platforms, such as Qualtrics, SurveyMonkey, etc.
- Experience working in or with academic or cultural communities, such as university libraries, archives, or museums
- Experience collaborating with others to execute a research project
- Experience and comfort with public speaking
- Expertise in study recruitment and marketing approaches, especially for the academic community
- Experience supporting an IRB submission process and/or coordinating other types of institutional approvals for research on faculty members and/or students
- Current human subjects (social/behavioral science) research certification or training (for example, certified through CITI or a college or university IRB)
While we will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis we especially encourage applications by March 31, 2022 to ensure consideration to ensure consideration.
Work for ITHAKA
At ITHAKA we believe in openness and equity. Part of living those values is our commitment to clarity about salary, so candidates know what to expect. The pay range for this position is $55,000 – $60,000 per year. Base pay may vary with job-related knowledge, skills, experience, market location, and geography. Our total compensation package includes a no-cost health insurance premium option, an employer-funded retirement plan, and a generous paid time off program for all benefits-eligible staff.
We are committed to our organizational values of belonging, evidence, speed, teamwork, and trust. We take inclusion seriously. Belonging is one of our core values, and it shows in our vibrant culture. People from a wide range of backgrounds work at ITHAKA, and we believe that unique perspectives help us realize new insights and build better solutions.
We want to work with people who are passionate about ideas like these and who wish to contribute their perspectives and talents to ITHAKA’s mission. We enthusiastically welcome applications from people of all underrepresented backgrounds and credentials. We want to hear your story and include your perspective in the transformative work we aim to do.
Learn more about Working at ITHAKA.
Interested candidates can submit their resume, a detailed cover letter, and salary requirements.